Regarding of what Agatha Christie wrote, Hercule Poirot joined the Belgian Police , from 1904 to 1914, date of the German invasion in neutral Belgium. Agatha Christie wrote a short story related to this period : The Chocolate Box. In 1916, he leaves Belgium, becomes a refugee in England and begins a long detective career ... ( 1916-1918 )
Then come the Twenties ( 1920-1929 ). Poirot settles down in London and opens a private detective agency. These are the short story years ( 25 short stories and 4 novels ).
The Thirties ( 1930-1939 ) : These was a sharp increase in the amount of novels written during this time ( 14 novels, 21 total short stories and one theatre play ). 12 short stories form The Labours of Hercules, the other short stories take place in this period but were published before/after. The theatre play is named Black Coffee and was written by Agatha Christie herself, who stated a frustration with other stage adaptations of her Poirot mysteries ...
Post World War II : Hercule Poirot mysteries became rare. In 36 years Agatha Christie wrote only 13 novels and one short story !
Two stories will be revealed posthumous :
- Curtain, Hercule Poirot's last case ( published in 1975 )
- The Incident At The Dog's Ball, newly-discovered pre-1937 Hercule Poirot story ( and published in 2010 )
THE LAST TWO STORIES
During the Second World War, Agatha Christie wrote two novels, Curtain and Sleeping Murder, intended as the last cases of these two great detectives, Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple, respectively. Both books were sealed in a bank vault for over thirty years and were released for publication by Christie only at the end of her life, when she realised that she could not write any more novels ...
Hercule Poirot is the only fictional character to have been given an obituary in The New York Times, following the publication of Curtain in 1975.
So, Agatha Christie wrote 33 novels and 56 short stories where Hercule Poirot appears. Here are the titles of these 33 novels :)
A bit long to give the titles of the 56 short stories ... Some of them have been reissued with different names ( like the "Christmas Adventure" which will become later "Christmas Pudding" ) but I'm pretty sure the fans you are have read them !
Agatha Christie's 33 novels with Hercule Poirot
- 1920 : The Mysterious Affair at Styles
- 1923 : Murder on the Links
- 1926 : The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
- 1927 : The Big Four
- 1928 : The Mystery of the Blue Train
- 1932 : Peril at End House
- 1933 : Lord Edgware dies
- 1934 : Murder on the Orient Express
- 1935 : Three Act Tragedy
- 1935 : Death in the Clouds
- 1936 : The A.B.C Murders
- 1936 : Cards on the Table
- 1936 : Murder in Mesopotamia
- 1937 : Death on the Nile
- 1937 : Dumb Witness
- 1938 : Appointment with Death
- 1938 : Hercule Poirot's Christmas
- 1940 : One, two, buckle my Shoe
- 1940 : Sad Cypress
- 1941 : Evil under the Sun
- 1943 : Five Little Pigs
- 1946 : The Hollow
- 1948 : Taken at the Flood
- 1952 : Mrs Mac Ginty's dead
- 1953 : After the Funerals
- 1955 : Hickory, Dickory, Dock
- 1956 : Dead man's Folly
- 1959 : Cat among the Pigeons
- 1963 : The Clocks
- 1966 : The Third Girl
- 1969 : Halloween Party
- 1972 : Elephants can remember
- 1975 : Curtain - Poirot's Last Case